The Journal invites applications for a one-year, full-time, paid editorial fellowship beginning in July 2015 from medical professionals at any career stage. Applications are due by September 1, 2014.
The editorial fellow reviews and edits Images in Clinical Medicine submissions and organizes the Clinical Decisions series under the supervision of senior editors. The fellow also moderates commenting at NEJM.org, does tagging for the Journal home page, writes Insights posts for the Now@NEJM blog, and contributes to other Journal work.
Participation in day-to-day editorial activities constitutes about 70% of the role. For the remaining 30%, we expect fellows to undertake a project of their own choosing.
We are looking for candidates who have good medical judgment, can communicate that judgment in good written English, and can work independently. Applicants do not need to be U. S. citizens, but successful candidates must reside in the Boston area for the duration of the fellowship. Please send curriculum vitae and a description of the project you would like to pursue to Pam Miller, 10 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115 or firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2014.
For more insight on the NEJM fellowship experience, see the article by Dr. Terry Schraeder, a former NEJM fellow, “NEJM Fellowship: The Ultimate Journal Club,” in Science Editor, July – August 2005, Vol 28, No 4 , 141-142. Although written 10 years ago, it remains applicable to today’s fellowship.