A record number of readers voted on our latest Clinical Decisions interactive feature, where we described a fictional case of a college basketball player with a large red welt on his buttock. We provided three independent treatment opinions, and we invited you to select which you favored. Over 11,000 votes were cast, the most since we launched the series. We also invited you to contribute to an online discussion of the case on NEJM.org. We were struck by how differently you approached this common symptom. You can read a summary of the responses, and check out an interactive map that shows how physicians around the globe voted, on our Clinical Decisions results page. If you haven’t seen them already, visit some of our earlier Clinical Decisions on the management of Type 2 diabetes, stable coronary disease, and the treatment of mild persistent asthma.
Posted by Karen Buckley • October 22nd, 2008
Comments are closed.
Get Our Blog Updates Via E-mail!
NEJM in the News
- The Washington Post referenced the NEJM Perspective Article, “Health Care for Americans with Disabilities — 25 Years after the ADA.” (July 30)
- U.S. News & World Report referenced the NEJM Original Article, “Randomized Trial of Peanut Consumption in Infants at Risk for Peanut Allergy,” in an advice article about peanut allergy prevention. (July 30)
- Medscape covered the NEJM Original Article, “Structure-Guided Blockade of CSF1R Kinase in Tenosynovial Giant-Cell Tumor.” (July 30)
- Medscape referenced the NEJM Original Article, “Antibiotic Treatment Strategies for Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Adults,” in a commentary on the subject. (July 30)
- The Hill referenced the 2013 NEJM Special Article, “Monetary Costs of Dementia in the United States” in an op-ed about the cost of care for Alzheimer’s. (July 30)
- The LA Times covered the NEJM Original Article, “Therapeutic Hypothermia in Deceased Organ Donors and Kidney-Graft Function.” HealthDay also covered the article. (July 30)
NEJM on Youtube
- NEJM Group will be exhibiting at the upcoming conferences below:
- European Society of Cardiology in London, England. Aug. 29-Sept. 2. Booth #C-807
- IDWeek in San Diego, CA. Oct. 8-10. Booth #922
- American Society of Nephrology in San Diego, CA. Nov. 5-7. Booth #508
- American Heart Association in Orlando, FL. Nov. 8-10. Booth #822
- American Society of Hematology in Orlando, FL. Dec. 5-7. Booth #514
Tagsabdominal pain anemia asthma breast cancer cardiac arrest Case Records Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital Clinical Decisions Clinical Practice Clinical Problem-Solving colorectal cancer COPD CPR Diabetes dyspnea fever global health glucocorticoids HIV hypertension Interactive Medical Cases Massachusetts General Hospital medicine Medstro myocardial infarction NEJM nejm 200th anniversary NEJM 200th Anniversary website NEJM Group NEJM Group Open Forum New England Journal of Medicine obesity pregnancy prostate cancer Quick Take ribavirin sepsis septic shock smoking stroke thrombocytopenia tuberculosis type 2 diabetes Venous thromboembolism weight loss