Our popular Clinical Decisions feature centers on what you would do in a given clinical setting and why. The latest in this series presented the fictional case of a 56-year-old homeless man found to have a subarachnoid hemorrhage and acute hydrocephalus. He was in a coma, and his prognosis, at best, was to be left with severe dependent disability. We asked you to consider three options for a patient who was unable to speak for himself. Visit NEJM.org to see how your peers voted, and to access earlier Clinical Decisions on the management of skin and soft-tissue infection, Type 2 diabetes, stable coronary disease, and the treatment of mild persistent asthma.
Posted by Karen Buckley • February 26th, 2009
Comments are closed.
Get Our Blog Updates Via E-mail!
NEJM in the News
- ABC News covered the NEJM Review Article, “Workplace Violence against Health Care Workers in the United States.” (April 27)
- Medscape covered the NEJM Perspective, “Colorectal Cancer on the Decline — Why Screening Can’t Explain It All.” (April 27)
- Medscape covered the NEJM Correspondence, “Visual Acuity after Retinal Gene Therapy for Choroideremia.” (April 27)
- The Boston Globe wrote about the Massachusetts Medical Society’s newly appointed executive vice president, Lois Dehls Cornell, who will lead the MMS when Corinne Broderick retires next month. (April 25)
- The New York Times Upshot referenced the NEJM Original Article, “Randomized Trial of Peanut Consumption in Infants at Risk for Peanut Allergy,” in a story titled, “Avoiding Peanuts to Avoid an Allergy Is a Bad Strategy for Most.” (April 25)
- LiveScience covered the NEJM Images in Clinical Medicine, “Esophagogastric Bypass in Motion.” (April 25)
NEJM on Youtube
- NEJM Group will be exhibiting at the upcoming conferences below:
- European Society of Cardiology in London, England. Aug. 29-Sept. 2. Booth #C-807
- IDWeek in San Diego, CA. Oct. 8-10. Booth #922
- American Society of Nephrology in San Diego, CA. Nov. 5-7. Booth #508
- American Heart Association in Orlando, FL. Nov. 8-10. Booth #822
- American Society of Hematology in Orlando, FL. Dec. 5-7. Booth #514
Tagsabdominal pain anemia asthma breast cancer cancer cardiac arrest Case Records Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital chemotherapy Clinical Decisions Clinical Practice Clinical Problem-Solving colorectal cancer COPD CPR Diabetes dyspnea fever global health glucocorticoids HIV hypertension Interactive Medical Cases Massachusetts General Hospital medicine myocardial infarction NEJM nejm 200th anniversary NEJM 200th Anniversary website NEJM Group NEJM Group Open Forum New England Journal of Medicine obesity pregnancy primary care/hospitalist/clinical practice prostate cancer pulmonary embolism septic shock smoking stroke surgery thrombocytopenia tuberculosis type 2 diabetes Venous thromboembolism